How to clean your dildos
Dildos are one of the most well known and popular sex toys, used by people of all genders and orientations. Dildos come in a variety of materials and sizes, which makes them a versatile sex toy to have and can be used when you are with a sexual partner or just by yourself. Like all other sex toys, it is important to look after them as regular cleaning will keep your dildos in top condition for a long time. We will cover everything you need to know to clean your dildos properly such as what you will need to clean them, how to clean them properly, how to look after them and how to store them in between sessions.
What you will use to clean your dildos depends on a few factors. Here is a list of supplies that will prepare you for cleaning any of your dildos:
- Antibacterial soap or sex toy cleaner
- A clean cloth or sponge
- A small brush for cleaning textured or porous dildos
- Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning glass or metal dildos
- A bowl or basin for soaking larger dildos
How you clean your dildo depends on the material that it is made of. We will go through how to clean a wide variety of dildos:
Silicone and Plastic Dildos:
- Rinse or soak your dildo if it is excessively dirty to help remove it.
- Apply a reasonable amount of antibacterial soap or toy cleaner to a damp cloth or sponge.
- Gently clean the entire dildo, paying special attention to any crevices or textured areas that can build up dirt.
- Rinse the dildo thoroughly with water and leave it to air dry, or gently dry with a clean cloth if you need to store or use the dildo immediately.
Glass and Metal Dildos:
- Fill a bowl or basin with warm water and add a reasonable amount of antibacterial soap or toy cleaner.
- Submerge the dildo in the solution and use a sponge or cloth to clean the dildo. If it has textured areas or crevices, use a small brush to clean those parts of the dildo.
- Rinse the dildo thoroughly with water and leave it to air dry, or gently dry with a clean cloth if you need to store or use the dildo immediately. For extra sanitisation, you can wipe down your dildo with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol after drying.
Tips for Textured or Porous Dildos:
Textured and porous dildos require a little bit more care when cleaning them as they can trap bodily fluids and waste if not cleaned properly.
- Using a small brush will allow you to get into those crevices and clean your dildo a lot easier than a sponge or cloth can.
- Once you have rinsed off your dildo, let it airdry to prevent residue from a cloth getting stuck in the crevices you just finished cleaning.
- An easy way to keep your textured and porous dildos clean is to use a condom with them. The condom will keep the dildo mostly clean, which will make your post-session clean a lot easier.
Maintenance and Storage
Here are a few things that you can do to keep your dildos properly maintained, which will increase their longevity:
- Clean your dildos before and after each use to keep them in good condition.
- Store them in a cool, dry and dark place to help prevent discolouration and warping. Storing your dildos in toy bags or individual containers can help you store your collection easily.
- Store them separately to prevent them from reacting with another sex toy you have and ruining both of them - this is especially important if you own silicone dildos
- Use the appropriate type of lube with your chosen dildo. If you’re not sure about the compatibility of your lubricant, do a patch test on a part of the dildo that isn’t being inserted into the body to confirm if it is safe to use or not.
It is also important to note that some dildos will have specific care and maintenance instructions. Metal and glass dildos can be heated up and cooled down but should never be exposed to extreme temperatures or sudden changes in temperature. If you have any concerns about caring for your dildo, take a look at the manufacturer’s instructions or reach out to their customer service for advice.
Cleaning and maintaining your dildos is important, as it will keep your sessions safe and prolong the lifespan of your toys. Remember to clean them before and after use, store them properly in between sessions and pay attention to any specific instructions that apply to the dildos you own. In order to have fun playing with your dildos, you have to take care of them first.